Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Morning: Happy New Year

Last year for Christmas my wife and I got snowshoes. Unfortunately, for the rest of that winter, we never had snow on the ground on a free weekend, so we never got to use them.

Last night it snowed several inches. Eschewing New Year's Eve revelry, we turned in relatively early, so we were up fairly early this morning. With the rest of the city asleep or hung over, the blanket of snow was relatively undisturbed; we dug our snowshoes out of the basement and went for a hike around the neighborhood. We snowshoed over to the Forest Preserve a few blocks away, and navigated some of the trails through the woods. I'd never been in there in the winter before. It was beautiful.

It may sound quaint or sappy, but walking through the snowy woods I felt a sense of renewal and invigoration---like for the first time in many years this new year actually meant something. I felt a sense of optimism like I haven't felt in quite a while.

A couple months ago a friend urged me to blog. For the new year, I'm going to take a stab at it. This will document what happens in this coming year. Here's hoping it will be a good one.

1 comment:

Barry said...

Excellent! The blog will make you whole, or the object of ridicule, or both, but not neither.

-bs

From cold Tallahassee on family vacation.